Heresy

By Carolina S. Ruiz Austria

The word "Heresy"

was used by Irenaeus in Contra Haereses to discredit his opponents in the early Christian Church. It has no purely objective meaning without an authoritative system of dogma.

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Toys and Political Correctness


Gun free Christmas? I'm for the idea of promoting peace and if that includes refraining from giving and handing out toy guns and whatever WAR toys for Christmas then, I'm all for it. But then again, some toy guns are so quirky looking (especially toy water guns) that sometimes I wonder if its all too much PC and not enough trust on the part of parents to teach children (and in turn for children to learn by themselves) about the values that matter. :-) I still won't and have never handed out authentic looking toy guns and grenades but I'm not averse to the idea of buying superhero paraphernalia (including Darna!, a local female superhero) or even "Totally Spy" toys for my little girl who, alongside other children of her generation are being given entirely new ideas about power, especially in terms of notions generally associated with gender so...I'm still all for POWER PUFF GIRLS, even if in the end, I'm against the "violence," or even the TOTALITARIANISM that "espionage" represents in everyday societal life!

Heck, its only child's play and education, that is growing up to learn about compassion and respecting human rights will hopefully be enough to ensure my kid is well adjusted. Besides, one of the more important lessons about changing the world that I have learned to embrace (especially after studying/practising law) is that making too MANY RULES and imposing LOTS of RULES (law!) is the singularly surest way to FUCK up childhood, not to mention, any person (of any age) LOL!

Yes, kids need structure, a modicum of rules and parents need to be able to discipline too. But so far, I think a worthy experiement, if not a serious project for progressives of our age is to grapple with parenting and make these changes at the most tangible level, that is at home. The best way to appreciate  the value of human freedom is for our children to experience it, and not to suffer in a lack of it.

Brave words, I know. besides my kid is 6. Wait till she turns into a teenager, right? This is why despite my issues with religion, I still pray. A lot. :-) I know I'll be needing all the help I can get. It does take a village to raise a child.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home